A Public Workshop / Boston
When: December 13, 2019 (9-12:30 p.m.)
Where: Dedham Hilton (11 miles from downtown Boston)
To register: Simply email, “Sign me up—Presence” to email@example.com We’ll then send you information on payment and other details.
For questions: Please call 508-879-0934, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In this fast-paced, interactive program, we’ll focus on identifying and practicing key actions to develop your presence, boost your reputation, and increase your impact at work.
You listen to certain people at work, but not to others, and often it’s just because of their presence. But what exactly is presence?
Presence sounds like an all-or-nothing thing—as if you either have it, or you don’t. It also sounds almost mystical.
Let’s demystify it. There are two sides to presence: external, and internal.
1) External: what others see
(based on Paul’s book, You’ve Got 8 Seconds: Communication Secrets for a Distracted World, a #1 Amazon Best Seller, Kindle edition, as of 5/22/19)
One part of presence is your observable behavior, and then, others’ inferences about what that behavior means.
For example, if you promise to get a client information by a certain time, but then fail to deliver, the client may conclude you’re not trustworthy.
2) Internal: what you experience
(based on Paul’s book, Naked at Work: How to Stay Sane When Your Job Drives You Crazy)
Another part of presence is your inner experience. For example, you may feel confident in certain situations, wobbly in others.
So presence is also an internal set of thoughts and feelings.
- Make presence actionable
- Discover three key themes and 10 critical actions that drive others’ perceptions of your presence
- Assess your strengths and opportunities to improve
- Practice specific skills and get feedback, including how to speak and listen with focus
- Learn practical techniques to manage yourself and increase your confidence
- Practice the language of commitment
- Develop a smart plan to act with presence